Reading Time: 1 minutes (ish)
Whilst I am away for a few days, I though I would fill the gap with a quick post for you all. A few gamification tips.
- Define your goal, you can’t expect anything to work if you have no reason to use it.
- Extrinsic rewards like points and badges are useful for short term engagement only. They do not make a fully gamified system.
- Intrinsic motivation is what you are aiming for. Consider RAMP (Relatedness, Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose).
- Find out what the user wants and design around that. Sure, you have goals, but the user won’t buy into it unless if satisfies their needs in some way.
- You can’t force fun. What you think will be fun, many will find insulting, patronising or down right enraging.
- Gamification is not a magic bullet. You may see sudden increases in activity, but overall you will get small percentage increases. This is good as it is better than what you had!
- Measure. If you don’t measure, you can’t report back on ROI and you will not be able to prove it works.
- Fail, but learn from it. If something doesn’t work, try something else. There is no magic formula for engagement.
- Ask for help. There is a huge community out there of people who want to help you – ask them.
- Don’t believe everything you read, even the big analysts can be wrong. However, read everything!
- Add monkeys or monkey ninjas. Everyone loves monkeys and everyone loves ninjas.