- Intrinsic motivation: Personal/internal needs and reasons acting.
- Relatedness, Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose are examples of this.
- You don’t play video games for the reward, you play because you enjoy them
- You read for pleasure, not monetary reward.
- You spend time with your family because you want to.
- Learn because you want to improve and be better.
- Extrinsic reward: An external reward, such as money, that is used to encourage action.
- Studying just to get a good grade, not the experience of learning.
- Use a shop because they have a loyalty card.
- Do your job just for the pay cheque.
- Only exercise because you want to get the 10,000 steps badge.
- A Question of Motivation
- The danger of extrinsic rewards on motivation – What I learned from my 5 year old
- 3 Layers of Motivation (Updated for 2018)
Also published on Medium.