I wanted to add a short post just highlighting 7 things that I repeatedly see people doing wrong when they are making or considering making serious / educational games. This is by no means an exhaustive list though – I just like the idea of 7 deadly sins 😀
- Assume because you think it is fun that everyone else will.
- Forget that it is actually a game.
- Forget that it is meant to teach something or provide a message.
- Test with the wrong people.
- Think that it doesn’t need to look good.
- Think that playing games will make you a good game designer.
- Underestimate how hard it is to make a good game.
In a little more detail.Assume because you think it is fun that everyone else will.